Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Squirrels vs Feeder - Part 2


Last year, the squirrels attacked my Droll Yankee feeder and chewed through the plastic base. Once the base was destroyed, the squirrel proof cage fell off and it was easy picking for the animals.

To be fair, I can't just blame the squirrels. A opossum the size of a large cat has been spotted perched on the top of the feeder.

Jeff replaced the plastic base with a large block of wood. The feeder was rehung and the war was back on. Day by day the critters would chew at the wood, determined to remove the metal cage.

Spring came, the feeder was taken down and the base once again needed repair. I was determined to save this feeder, so it was packed up and given to a very handy family member.

On Christmas day, I was given the best gift - my feeder now has a heavy aluminum base. We'll see what happens next.....

No comments: