Friday, April 02, 2010

Fate


For my birthday in June, we usually go to a Broadway show and then have dinner in NYC. Jeff had not yet ordered tickets. I really didn't know what play I wanted to see.

It seems that fate had something else in mind. I was listening to the radio when I heard an advertisement that the Eagles would be in concert. The Eagles are another concert on my bucket list. When I was growing up my older brothers would play the Eagles records constantly.

The Eagles broke up as a band in 1980 and reunited in 1994. I remember their reunion tour tickets as being extremely pricey and impossible to get.

I mentioned to Jeff that the Eagles would be in concert and he said."That's interesting". (Note: This is the same response I received when I suggested going to Alaska in December!). I took that as "Full speed ahead"!

It turns out the the Eagles are playing in Gillette Stadium (near Boston), too far for a one day trip. Oh well, I thought, it would have been fun.

I then noticed the concert date - on my birthday weekend! Surely, we were destined to attend this concert. Since I couldn't think of a better gift, I said how about we get a hotel for the night and celebrate my birthday in Massachusetts ? Getting into the spirit of things, Jeff said why not take off on Fri and have a long weekend ?

I went to book seats and saw that general tickets were not on sale, only American Express members could reserve seats in advance. Not having an AmEx, I was momentarily stumped. A quick call to LI (and a promise of a check in the mail) provided the AmEx information I needed.

I purchased the tickets and when I went to print them, received a message that tickets would not be released for 24 hours. 48 hours later, I could still not print my tickets.

I called TicketMaster and spoke to a very nice representative who explained that this concert was going to be a BIG event (68,000 seats) and that ticket scalpers and ticket resellers were trying to purchase too many seats. Until the general public could purchase seats, all tickets were being held and credit card numbers checked to make sure that no one person was buying up blocks of seats.

In a few days, I should have my tickets!

No comments: