Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Philadelphia

As Jeff drove down to Philadelphia, I reviewed the AAA tour book and thought, "Wow! There are a lot of places to visit."


We were in Philly a few years ago and had visited the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall. I wanted to visit someplace we would not typically go. When I saw that the Masonic Temple offered tours, I knew that would be a stop on our list.


The Masonic Temple ,which was built in 1867, is huge. There are seven different  halls, each with its own architectural style (ex:Egyptian, Renaissance).  The furniture is beautifully carved by master craftsman.

The large stained glass window was gorgeous.


The massive marble cantilevered staircase, with no vertical supports, was amazing.



I did not realize that 14 US Presidents were Freemasons. I was glad that we took the one hour tour and  learned about the Freemason.

No comments: