Saturday, January 19, 2008

Squirrel for lunch


I was in the kitchen at lunchtime and noticed a squirrel on the "squirrel proof feeder". The squirrels are smart enough to know that they can hang onto the shepherd's hook with their hind legs and pick seeds out with their front paws. If a squirrel sits on the rim of the feeder, his weight causes the lip to close and seeds are protected.

I headed to the window to bang on it and temporarily chase away the squirrel. Before I could get to the window, there was a flash of feathers . In an instant a hawk swooped down, flew off and the squirrel was gone! I was stunned and could not believe what I had just witnessed.

It seems that the squirrels do not realize how vulnerable they are when they are stretched out trying to grab sunflower seeds. Obviously, the hawk has figured this out! I began to wonder if the hawk comes for lunch at the feeder every day.

Hawk 1, Squirrel 0

No comments: