Monday, February 02, 2009

Aurora Borealis


For several years now, I have been saying that I wanted to see the Aurora Borealis. I think that anyone who sees this picture from NASA would want to view the Northern Lights in person.

While this sounds like a great idea to me, there are a few obstacles that make viewing the Lights difficult. First, the lights are best seen in winter. Second, one of the best places to view the Aurora is in Alaska - Northern Alaska - Fairbanks or farther north. Temperature's in Fairbanks are SUBARCTIC - the average high in Dec is 2 °F and the low is -15 °F. In the winter, Fairbanks has 5 hours of daylight.

Even in a heated house, I am always cold. Why would I ever willingly vacation in an icebox ? Even Jeff who likes the cold has said that he has no great desire to freeze, but would go if I TRULY wanted this.

There are also smaller obstacles, like getting time off from work, finding someone to watch Cooper and purchasing arctic gear.

Luckily, I am not alone in my quest to see the Northern Lights. My friend Wendy is also interested. Every so often we say we should go, but no serious planning ever occurs. That is all starting to change.....

I believe that is called a teaser ending :)

No comments: