Wednesday, January 03, 2007

The right tool for the job



My Dad always says "There's a right tool for every job". In fact, he ususally follows it up with "There's a reason Norm Abram has 40 saws in his workshop!"

Just starting out as a homeowner, you're happy to even have something close to the right tool to get the job done. Sometimes that means hand saws, sometimes that means the cheapest drill at WallyWorld just to get the job done. This Spring, I broke down and bought a table saw to finish my cabinet shelves. I probably could have done it with a circular saw, but it wouldn't have been as pretty.

During the updating to the office and guest room I, I wanted to put some quarter round shoe moulding between the baseboard trim and the hardwood floors. The baseboard moulding got a little banged up when the floors were redone and I think it finished off the look we were going for. I did it with the table saw, but it took me a lot longer than I expected. It was definitely cleaner than cutting everything by hand, but still took more time.

Thanks to J&M&C&R, I got this super Craftsman Mitre Saw for Christmas. With guest room II almost finished, I knew I could put it to use really quick. I cut all the moulding in the picture in a little over 2 hours! Wow. That much cutting would have taken me at least three times as long with the table saw. A couple coats of trim paint tomorrow, and I'll be all done.

No comments: