Sunday, February 18, 2007

The great Sears heist of 2007



I've been wanting a roll-away tool box for some time now. It's nice having all your tools in one place when you need them. Getting them put away at the end of a project is a different story, but I digress....

I bought the top of this toolbox a number of years ago because I wanted to graduate from a two drawer box that I got while I was in college. It was enough for most of my hand tools, but as projects grew and time went on, I acquired more and more tools to the point I really filled up the top piece.


I finally made up my mind to get the bottom portion this year and put out the word for Christmas that any and all Sears gift cards would be welcome this year. I want down my local Sears to purchase a bottom chest, which they didn't have in stock and they had to order it. The guy at the counter said it would be in within a week.

I came back a week later, and waited 30 minutes while they tried to locate my tool box to no avail. After talking with the manager, I found out that the original clerk ordered it wrong and they had to re-order it. I wasn't happy, but at least this guy sounded like he knew what he was doing.

So I waited. Two weeks after the second order went through, we got a call from an automated system that said the box was there. Back down to Sears to pickup the goodies. Of course, I had to wait for another 40 minutes until I found out they didn't have it. Again. At this point, I had enough and got my money back.

On a whim, Valerie suggested we to to a Sears Lawn & Garden/Tool store kind of near us. On the way, I decided that I was going to take whatever they had in stock that was even remotely close to my existing box. We looked at their chests and decided on a red one with red drawers. It wasn't exactly what I wanted, but it was close enough. As I went to fetch a sales associate (ie. a 17 year old that didn't know crap) I passed the clearance aisle. And there it was, the eight drawer. The massive eight drawer. For $121. That's right, over 66% off! I verified the price with my sales associate and took it right then and there before they found out it was the wrong price!

No comments: