Monday, September 17, 2007

Birding season

As the annuals die in our garden, the hanging baskets are slowly being replaced with bird feeders. The first day the first feeder was out, we had cardinals, blue jays, tufted titmice and chickadees. I thought that it would take longer to attract the birds which we stopped feeding in March.

The second, third and fourth feeders went up this weekend and I realized it was time to buy more bird seed. I bought 40 lbs. which should last a few weeks.

When I saw the downy headed woodpeckers trying to feed, I realized it was time to hang the suet.

What is odd is that our sunflower is bursting with seeds, but the birds show no interest.

In the late afternoon, I often hear the hawks screeching for minutes at a time, but with the leaves still on the trees, they are difficult to spot.

No comments: