Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Retail

I'm not sure I ever appreciated working in retail while I was growing up. Oh, I appreciated the opportunity to work and being the boss' son probably made it easier than it could have been. But the intangibles I gained were invaluable life lessons. Simple things like how to make change.

This skill came in handy twice yesterday. I owed a colleague $15, but all I had was a $20 and a $5. While he was handing me three ones, I noticed a $10 in his wallet. I handed him back his three ones plus a $5 expecting the $10 back.

Silence. I guess I just caught him off guard.

Later that evening, I was on my way back from a meeting when I decided to stop into McDonalds to get a couple Apple Pies for $1. The cashier rang me up and pronounced $1.06 (we can't forget Uncle Sam). No problem, I gave her a $1 bill and a dime. As she was counting out four pennies, I piped up and said, "Wait, I have a penny..." and handed it to her.

Silence.

Then she called for the manager for a "void". No, I am not kidding.

The manager comes over (all 19 years of him) and tells the cashier to figure out the change.

So the cashier pulls out a calculator....

No comments: