Monday, November 23, 2009

Sorel


I have been looking for a pair of winter boots for Alaska. I have several pair of LL Bean boots and hiking boots, but nothing insulated for -25° temperatures.

I have stopped at a local store several times, but they did not have any winter boots in stock yet.

While we were out Christmas shopping, we stopped at Dick's Sporting Goods. To my surprise, I saw a pair of blue Sorel boots. I had never heard of Sorel, but Jeff with his cold North Country experience said Sorel is a good boot manufacturer.

I decide to try the boots on. When we went to find what sizes were in stock, it turned out the boots were only in the kids/youth section. Jeff said, "It looks like you are out of luck". I picked up the display boot (which was larger than my sneaker)and said, "Let me try". Did I mention there was a super sale on the boots ?

It turns out that the child's boot was too big. After I put a -40° wool sock over my normal sock, the boot fit correctly.

Needless to say, I bought the boots. When I got home, I looked up Sorel and the one complaint people had about this type of boot was it runs SMALL. I couldn't help but laugh. I always thought I had average size feet, but who knows ?

No comments: