Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Eve



When I was a child, Christmas Eve was a magical time. Our tree, with its glass ornaments was always beautiful, but seemed to take on a special glow on this day. Trying to sleep at night was nearly impossible. Surely if I stayed awake I would hear the reindeer on the roof ?

Now, Christmas Eve is a time for reflection. Our tradition is to attend Midnight Mass, no matter where we are. On rare occasions, we exit the church to find snow falling. As the snowflakes sparkle in the moonlight, the possibility of peace on earth hangs in the air.

We may be far from home, but the same moon that shines on Cooper and Otis in Connecticut lights our path in Alaska, connecting us.

I located a church in Anchorage that will be celebrating Mass at midnight. I have no doubt that this will be a Christmas Eve that will not be forgotten.

No comments: