Monday, July 11, 2011

Glimmerglass Opera

I have always wanted to attend an opera. Unfortunately, Jeff does not have the same desire. Luckily, my mother in-law knew of my interest and generously purchased two tickets to Carmen, at the Glimmerglass Opera in Cooperstown, NY.

I did not know what to expect, but the opera was fantastic! One hour before the show begins, Glimmerglass has an expert discuss the composer, the opera and parts of songs are played, so you know what to look/listen for during the show. This was interesting and helpful for a first time attendee.

We had "critic's row" seats and an excellent view of the stage. I was surprised to see that the people in attendance ranged from age 16-80. Dress ranged from suits and long dresses to slacks and even a few people wore shorts.

At 8pm, the scheduled start time, the announcer said a patron had a medical emergency and the opera will begin after medical services arrive. At 8:30, the ambulance came and the opera began.

I had always pictured opera singers as large men wearing viking helmets. Imagine my surprise, when a svelete Carmen and muscular Don Jose stepped onto the stage. I did not realize that a large part of the opera was the dancing and the theatrics, not just the music.  The singers were incredible and the 3 hours passed quickly.

If you are ever in Cooperstown,  NY in the summer and want to attend the opera, I would highly suggest visiting Glimmerglass, I know I will never forget my night at the opera.

No comments: