Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Another new visitor

As I was leaving for work, I thought I noticed something slowly moving across the grass, on the side of our yard opposite the pond. I looked again but all I saw was green and then something moved again. I was not sure what it was - at first I thought of the usual suspects - the woodchuck or a squirrel, but they move too fast.

After staring for a few minutes, I realized that it was a turtle - its shell was about the size of a serving plate. The shell was very green and I think it must have come from the pond which is covered in green duckweed.

I shouldn't be surprised that the pond might contain turtles, but I was surprised to see such a big one. After a year, I thought I had seen all the wildlife, but I guess you never know what might show up.

No comments: