Friday, November 10, 2006

Neverending Supply

As a dog owner, you want your charge to be a good citizen. You want him to be friendly around other dogs and to be gentle to other people. That requires socialization and bringing your pup to public areas.

Inevitably, that means you're going to end up picking up some crap. Before taking Danny on his walks downtown, we throw a tennis ball around coaxing him to get done what needs to get done. Sometimes he agrees, sometimes not. Somehow, it seems like I'm always the one walking the dog when he decides to do his business in public.

The other day we were walking downtown when he decides it's time. No problem, I never leave home without a plastic grocery bag in my pocket. He does what he needs to do, I do what I need to do, we find a trash can, and we're on our way. Upon arrival back home, I told Valerie to make sure she puts a grocery bag in her coat pocket so she can do the deed next time. She gives me a devilish smile and says "OK".

The next day, I find a new bag in my coat pocket. At least I know where I stand.

No comments: