Monday, March 26, 2007

Ducks, Dogs & Stone Walls




All of the snow had put a temporary halt to the landscaping. Construction of the wall restarted today and I worried that the ducks would be frightened of all the noise. When I left this morning the mallards were happily floating on the pond and surprisingly they were still there when I returned home from work.

I went out with Danny to take these pictures and when I turned around there he was, head in the pond drinking - if the pond were cleaner, I wouldn't mind but Danny did not seem to care. As I yelled at Danny to stop ("Do you want to get sick?") - he spotted the ducks and a gleam came into his eyes. I got him away from the edge of the pond, but he just sat at the edge of the driveway, staring at the ducks. I do believe that somewhere is Danny's heart, he truly is a bird dog (he is the only Golden I know who goes into a point when he spots birds) and I know it is just a matter or time before he decides to retrieve one of the ducks. Since Danny just got a bath on Saturday, I believe that this will occur sooner rather than later.

I almost feel sorry for Danny, he tries so hard to be good, but the mud, pond and ducks may just be too much of a temptation for him.

No comments: