Thursday, March 25, 2010

Frogs for Breakfast


When I looked out the window this morning, I saw a hawk sitting on a rock at the pond's edge. The hawk sat unmoving for several minutes and then took off, his wingtips brushing the water.

The hawk landed on another rock and began to eat. I realized that the hawk was having frogs for breakfast!

The hawk must sit close to the water, because the frogs only appear for the briefest instant. They could never be caught if the hawk perched in a tree over the pond.

I am fascinated by these beautiful birds. The hawks are smart, swift, strong, deadly and yet at only 2 pounds surprising fragile. Hawks mate for life. Our pair seem devoted to each other.

One website said hawks are rarely seen in back yards. I smiled, because the hawks spend large portions of the day at our pond. I realize we are lucky to have these unique guests sharing our home.

When I arrived home in the evening, the hawk was again perched at the edge of the pond. I guess frogs make a good dinner too!

No comments: