Friday, March 05, 2010

Happy Ending

I work at home on Friday's. On Fri, the usual wake up, shower and get dressed for work rules don't apply.

I was working in the office wearing my purple sweatpants and pink pajama top and thinking it was almost time for lunch. All of a sudden Oti started barking like crazy and Coop quickly joined in.

When the dogs would not settle down, I went into the bedroom and looked out the window. I saw a yellow Lab racing around the pond. All of a sudden the Lab jumped into the pond.

I had not seen this dog before. I hesitated for a moment, unsure of what to do. Should I let the dog run loose or try to catch him and see who he belonged to? I realized that if Coop or Otis got loose and were running in someone's yard, I would hope that person would help to reunite us.

I grabbed my coat and Coop's leash, pulled on my boots and raced out the door. The dog was now racing thru the woods. I called to the Lab and he came bounding over. The dog was soaking wet and jumped up and rubbed against my legs.

I grabbed the Lab by his collar, but there was no tag. Now what to do ? I had no idea where the dog had come from. I attached Coop's leash and thought perhaps this dog either belonged to a neighbor up the road or had run off from someone in the nearby park.

The dog and I began walking down the road. The Lab was blissfully happy. As we neared the end of the road I heard someone calling long and loud. Could this person be searching for the Lab ? The dog showed no sign of recognizing the voice.

It turns out that the dog's name is Dusty. Dusty belongs to a neighbor's employee and had suddenly run off. The man thanked me for returning his dog and headed inside.

When I got back home, I laughed at what a sight I was. My purple pants were soaked, my boots were dirty and my hair was a mess. Oti smelled the Lab on my clothes and would not stop sniffing me. I realized it was the perfect time for a shower

No comments: