Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Monarch

With  the tropical storm and strong winds coming, I thought I should bring in my plastic watering container from the deck. When I picked up the container I saw that there was water in the bottom and a monarch butterfly floating on top.

I could not reach my hand in to pull out the butterfly, so gently poured the water out. The butterfly was free from the container, but just lay on its side. I tried to stand the butterfly upright, but it immediately fell over.

I realized that the butterfly's wings were wet and it could not fly. I was not sure what to do. I then saw the mum in full bloom and gently placed the butterfly on a flower. The butterfly was able to grasp the flower and slowly spread its wings. I thought the Monarch could have a snack while he dried out.

When I looked outside a little while later, the butterfly was gone.

No comments: