Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Brandy



AKC registered Sir Brandon of Stonehenge (Brandy) was the first dog that I ever owned. Brandy was not just beautiful, but drop dead GORGEOUS.

When we were out walking Brandy, people would often stop and comment on how handsome he was. One woman once asked if she could hire him as a stud for her female Sheltie.

Brandy did not walk, but seemed to prance. He was very intelligent, fearless, proud and an Alpha male. Brandy loved to bark - it could be at a leaf blowing by or a stranger at the door.

Life with Brandy was an adventure, you never knew what to expect. When I look at Cooper, I see the same zest for life that was such a part of Brandy's personality.

Brandy hated to get his feet wet and I can still picture him jumping over puddles on rainy days. Bath time was a nightmare, he would whine from the moment he saw the hose.

When Brandy was 10 years old, he was diagnosed with bladder cancer and given 3 months to live. Brandy survived for 6 months and never slowed down.

Jeff had already moved from North Carolina and was living in Connecticut when it came time to put Brandy to sleep. Driving alone to our vet and saying goodbye was one of the hardest things I ever had to do. I can still remember holding him in my lap as his life slipped away.

Jeff's Dad called that night and said, I feel bad that you are all alone and having to go through this. I remember saying, "I'm not alone, I have Jake...."

No comments: