Sunday, July 19, 2009

High Jumper




Otis woke us up at 5:45, even before Coop's internal alarm went off at 6:11. I would have made him wait, but being his first morning, I thought he might really have to go out. So, at 6:00 am, we were walking down our street.

We decided that both dogs could use a bath. We first bathed Otis (bottom photo)in the driveway with the hose. The water was cold, but Otis was very good and did not try to get away.

We put Oti on the back deck to dry out and brought Cooper (top photo) out front for his bath. About five minutes later we heard a loud bang from the back deck. I figured Otis had knocked over one of my planters.

Imagine my surprise when I heard Jeff yell "Otis!". Otis did not like being left alone on the deck,had jumped the gate and was running down the front yard.

The bang must have been Otis landing. I don't know what surprised me more, that this big dog could jump a 4 ft gate or after clearing the gate, did not harm himself on dropping 6 feet to land on the grass.

When Jeff yelled, "Here, Otis", Oti ran to the front door and waited to be let inside. The lesson I learned is that Otis does not want to be separated from his pack and we will need to keep a close eye on him.

Linda never mentioned Otis was an escape artist or that he was so agile. Maybe he is trying to find his way back to Maine ?

No comments: