Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Peony Festival II

While at Cricket Hill Gardens, I spoke with the owner about my tree peony. I explained that the peony had been recently  moved and I was not sure what to do.


The woman was very nice and explained that moving a tree peony once it has developed leaves is dangerous and can kill the plant. She suggested leaving the peony where it was until late Sept. To try and help strengthen the peony, she gave me a sample of special fertilizer to apply immediately and again in Sept.


The woman explained that the peony would probably not flower next year, since it was stressed. I explained that I just wanted it to survive. She suggested to baby the tree this summer with monthly applications of fish emulsion fertilizer. Having already invested 4 years into this one foot tree, I am willing to give some extra effort to keep it alive.

No comments: