Friday, September 10, 2010

Surprise!


I do not feed the birds over the summer and usually pack the feeders away in the spring. This year, I was so busy with the renovation, the feeders remained outside.

With the cooler weather coming, I thought it was time to start filling the feeders again. You can imagine my surprise, when I opened this feeder and found a nest inside!

I said to Jeff, "How could a bird possibly get in there ??" Jeff responded, "What makes you think it was a bird ?"

I then realized Jeff was right, it was probably a field mouse who had built the nest. That really freaked me out. The feeder got a good scrubbing before it was filled and hung back up.

Could this unwelcome visitor be the reason why the hawk is sometimes seen on the deck staring at the feeder ?

No comments: