Saturday, September 11, 2010

Wind Power


While traveling in Massachusetts, we stopped at a Walmart. When we pulled into the parking lot, I was surprised to see wind turbines on top of the parking lot lights.

When we entered the store we noticed two things:
1 - there was a lot of natural light (skylights) in the store
2 - in general the store was darker than most Walmart's (fewer fluorescent lights)

I asked the cashier if the windmills were producing power for the store. She said yes, the store was powered by these turbines and it saved a lot of money in their electric bills.

I was really impressed to see that Walmart was going green. I know that the cost savings is good for the company's bottom line, but I was still excited to see wind power being harnessed. Hopefully other companies will follow.

I remember driving in the Netherlands and seeing miles of wind turbines spinning. Perhaps this will happen in the US someday.

No comments: