Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Pompeii

When we went to see the King Tut exhibit in NYC, there was an ad for the upcoming exhibit "Pompeii". My Dad was always fascinated by the ruins at Pompeii and I told Jeff we should see the show.

We took the train into Grand Central and headed to Times Square. The exhibit consists of two parts. The first part shows relics from Pompeii  - everything from artwork to a gladiator helmet to jewelry and wine vessels. I was amazed by the sophistication and beauty of this ancient civilization.

The second half of the exhibit shows body casts of people and animals who were unable to escape the mud and toxic gases.  24 hours after Vesuvius erupted, Pompeii was destroyed. When I saw the body casts and read about the thousands of people who died, I could not help but think of the Japanese tsunami and how quickly nature can destroy what man has built.

I would recommend visiting the exhibit if you are in NYC.

No comments: